Bear Butte Spring Fog

Bear Butte Spring Fog
Sunrise over foggy Bear Butte

Sunday, April 11, 2010

April in Spearfish Canyon

Yesterday was one of those almost perfect spring days. A light breeze and beautiful blue spring sky.  I took a drive up Spearfish Canyon to see how the snow was melting.  A quick stop at Bridal Vale Falls in full sun is my first shot here.   This is the best time to get a good view of the entire falls before the leaves come on.

While it seems like there is a lot of snow still left, the smaller flow of the falls and Spearfish Creek seem to indicate a dryer spring in the canyon than I anticipated.  The lower creek nearer Spearfish is almost entirely dry yet, and even above the intake, you can see it is not nearly as full as I expected.

The photo below is one of the creek itself looking north down the canyon.  This is about 8 miles up the canyon from Spearfish.  I added a small border to make it stand out a little.




Once more, I have posted more photos from yesterday on flickr.  Hope you enjoy and happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment